Wiki 2023 Hernia Repairs

Peterk50

Contributor
Best answers
I have in the past not billed hernia repairs with another major procedure, when there was the same point of entry. Has anyone billed the 2023 with this same concept? In codify I found in the guidelines "The excision/repair of strangulated organs or structures such as testicle(s), intestine, ovaries are reported by using the appropriate code for the excision/repair (eg, 44120, 54520, and 58940) in addition to the appropriate code for the repair of the strangulated hernia".

My provider did a Loop ileostomy with resection take down and a planned incisional hernia repair, that was recurrent and larger than 10cm.

Thank you

Did you ever receive clarification? I have only charged hernia repair with separate incision site with another open or laparoscopic procedure. But I have a small bowel resection w/ anastomosis and fistulous tract excision 44120 and a large (12 cm defect) incarcerated recurrent hernia repair 49618 that Encoder states has no CCI conflicts. I am not sure if I should code the sm bowel resection alone or add the hernia repair.