Wiki 2024 E/M Time Changes

Cheezum51

True Blue
Best answers
I've read that the AMA is changing the time criteria for the E/M codes in 2024. Apparently, they are doing away with the present times and replacing them with a time "Threshold". I've not been able to find out what these thresholds for the new and established patient E/M codes. Can someone provide me with a source for that information?

Tom Cheezum, OD, CPC, COPC

Hi there, the update will be in the 2024 CPT manual, which is scheduled for release in October.

However, based on past CPT Editorial Panel meetings they're only going to revise the descriptors to match the format for the rest of the level-based codes. That would mean the code descriptors will just list the minimum time that is already in the descriptor rather than the time range they use now.

Hi there, the update will be in the 2024 CPT manual, which is scheduled for release in October.

However, based on past CPT Editorial Panel meetings they're only going to revise the descriptors to match the format for the rest of the level-based codes. That would mean the code descriptors will just list the minimum time that is already in the descriptor rather than the time range they use now.
Thanks for your reply. So if I understand this correctly, as an example, the 99204 time of 45-59 minutes would just change to 45 minutes. Correct? Someone has asked me to write an article about these changes and the deadline is before the new CPT books come out.

Tom Cheezum, OD.CPC.COPC