Wiki 20611 done by CMA

dtricia

Best answers
I am looking at this procedure for the first time, covering for someone. Is this within the Scope of Practice for a CMA? I looked on the CA Board for CMA and only injection is mentioned not ultrasound. I see the report is signed by CMA, not the MD and this has me concerned.
Please advise.
Tricia

Hello dtricia,

I really do not think that CPT 20611 an arthrocentesis, aspiration and/or injection into a major joint or bursa with ultrasound guidance can be performed by a CMA. Possibly if you could ask the MD about the procedure? Could they have forgotten to sign the documentation?

I am looking at this procedure for the first time, covering for someone. Is this within the Scope of Practice for a CMA? I looked on the CA Board for CMA and only injection is mentioned not ultrasound. I see the report is signed by CMA, not the MD and this has me concerned.
Please advise.
Tricia

I would share your concern. I think it highly unlikely that this would be within the scope of practice of a CMA - this is a procedure that carries significant risk and if not done correctly could result in serious injury. Hopefully they are just using the code incorrectly, or signing something by mistake that they didn't actually do, but in any case it is certainly something I would question and/or report for investigation.