Wiki 21st Century Cures Act

Does anyone have a better understanding of how this affects Provider offices and an easier read of what exactly this new law means??
This basically means that patients have to have access to all of their medical records. For example: Right now when a patient accesses their portal they can see everything but the provider's actual clinical/progress notes. They can view a clinical summary of their visits and results of tests. So now we have to allow them to access the clinical/progress notes. We have told our providers that they needed to be very careful now of what and how they document.

Thank you for your response. This is my understanding too. My Doctor is closing his practice and is moving out of state. Our EMR wants to charge us a fee to a data extraction to enable access for patients to get their records or any other doctor office. I am not sure or positive if that is something they can do.

Thank you for your response. This is my understanding too. My Doctor is closing his practice and is moving out of state. Our EMR wants to charge us a fee to a data extraction to enable access for patients to get their records or any other doctor office. I am not sure or positive if that is something they can do.
You may want to reach out to the malpractice insurance carrier and they should be able to provide some guidance.