Wiki 22612

nyyankees

True Blue
Best answers
would it be appropriate to add a 59 modifier to 22610 to show that it is separately identifiable from 22612? I say no but others think otherwise.

It is the thoracic and lumbar sections of the spine but I'm not sure if this is right:

thanks...:confused:

even though we did a thoracic AND lumbar fusion? We did add the additional level add-on code (which got paid)...but Medicare bundled 22610 with 22612. It's documented that the Dr did a thoracic and lumbar fusion but they still bundled it.

They want to add 59 modifier but I'm not sure..Thanks.

typically, if the arthrodesis crosses over both the thoracic and lumbar regions, you can only report one primary arthrodesis code. Anyone else?

that's what i thought. But when i spoke to the medicare general help line they said to send it through and see what happens. The a/r dept here loves to use modifiers (especially 59) to help get things paid. I keep telling them to be careful...

This was my thinking but i'm glad you had the same thought process. Thanks.:d

RE:

I code for this procedure all the time- and I go with 22612(lumbar) and 22614(addt) covering thoracic and lumbar levels. The RVU for 22610 is lower- so probably why it bundled with the 22612. Hope this helps!!