Wiki 29540 cpt code and e&m

Best answers
I have a patient that came in to see our Family Practice physician with a rolled ankle. Our doctor ordered an X-Ray and it was questionable. So he ordered an CT scan and put her in an air cast. My question is, when billing for the physician side, is the air cast included in E&M code or can I bill E&M and for the air cast. Thank you in advance!

29540 cpt code and E&M

I have a patient that came in to see our Family Practice physician with a rolled ankle. Our doctor ordered an X-Ray and it was questionable. So he ordered an CT scan and put her in an air cast. My question is, when billing for the physician side, is the air cast included in E&M code or can I bill E&M and for the air cast. Thank you in advance!

CPT Assistant has advised that application of an off-the-shelf product such as an air splint is included in the E/M service and not separately reported. Strapping and casting are physician services that may be separately reported when used to protect the injury until the need for further treatment is determined. CPT 99070 or a HCPCS code such as L4361 may be used to report the supply of the air cast.

I hope that helps.
Cindy

CPT Assistant has advised that application of an off-the-shelf product such as an air splint is included in the E/M service and not separately reported. Strapping and casting are physician services that may be separately reported when used to protect the injury until the need for further treatment is determined. CPT 99070 or a HCPCS code such as L4361 may be used to report the supply of the air cast.

I hope that helps.
Cindy

Thank you Cindy! :D