Wiki 30901

nlbarnes

Expert
Best answers
Provider submitted 30901. I don't think that it is the appropriate code as he's not controlling bleeding:

There is a large clot in the right nasal cavity. There is oozing of the right nasal cavity. The bilateral nasal cavities were sprayed with Afrin. All the clot present bilaterally was suctioned clear. More Afrin was applied topically. No further significant bleeding was noted on the right or left.

Provider submitted 30901. I don't think that it is the appropriate code as he's not controlling bleeding:

There is a large clot in the right nasal cavity. There is oozing of the right nasal cavity. The bilateral nasal cavities were sprayed with Afrin. All the clot present bilaterally was suctioned clear. More Afrin was applied topically. No further significant bleeding was noted on the right or left.
CPT code 30901 is for control of minor nosebleed.
To control a less serious nosebleed in 30901, the physician applies electrical or chemical coagulation or packing materials to the anterior (front) section of the nose. Only limited electrical or chemical coagulation is used.
Oxymetazoline "AFRIN" (pronounced ok-see-muh-taz-uh-leen) or phenylephrine (pronounced fen-l-ef-reen) are nasal sprays which can help slow nosebleeds.
The snipit of doctor notes you provided supports the use of 30901. Afrin was used for chemical coagulation. Minor nose bleed was stopped.

CPT code 30901 is for control of minor nosebleed.
To control a less serious nosebleed in 30901, the physician applies electrical or chemical coagulation or packing materials to the anterior (front) section of the nose. Only limited electrical or chemical coagulation is used.
Oxymetazoline "AFRIN" (pronounced ok-see-muh-taz-uh-leen) or phenylephrine (pronounced fen-l-ef-reen) are nasal sprays which can help slow nosebleeds.
The snipit of doctor notes you provided supports the use of 30901. Afrin was used for chemical coagulation. Minor nose bleed was stopped.
Thank you!

Related to this , I have another doubt-
Pt came for nose bleeding and provider applied "SURGIFLO hemostatic foam '' to control the bleeding.
Can we give CPT code for this scenario?