Wiki 38220 for bone marrow aspiration?

Best answers
Hello - does anybody have any thoughts on coding 38220 for bone marrow aspiration performed by a podiatrist? Partial procedure note is below. This aspirate is then used in the foot fusion done within the operative session. I feel that it's appropriate to code this separately, and I'm hoping to get either confirmation on that or arguments as to why it would be inappropriate. Also, for those who do bill this, any good documentation for appealing denials?

Procedure:
The patient was brought to the operating room via gurney and was placed on the operating table in the supine position. Upon administration of IV sedation the area was scrubbed, prepped, and draped in the usual aseptic manner. A Jamshidi needle was then introduced percutaneously into the posterior tuber of the calcaneus from a lateral approach. Approximately 5 mL of bone marrow aspirate were taken from this area. This was later used to mix within the operative site. The entry point was then covered with gauze and the extremity was exsanguinated and hemostasis was applied.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jessica VanGroll, CPC

I started coding for our new foot and ankle surgeon a few months ago. So far I have never seen him perform this. However, I have seen bone marrow aspiration done for knees a significant number of times. 38220 is the correct code to use. After a repair, the bone marrow is injected into the repair site, and this helps to stimulate the healing response. I have it paid with knee surgeries often. Go for it and let us know how it goes.