Wiki 3D reconstruction

Kimberley

Expert
Best answers
Does the below justify billing out 3D recon, 76376?

TECHNIQUE: Multiple thin sequential axial images were obtained through the right knee. Reconstructed AXIAL, SAGITTAL and CORONAL images were obtained as well as 3D reconstructed images.

Thanks.

Kimberley Tober, CPC
Franklin, TN

Not my specialty

This is not my specialty but here's the lay description (from Encoder Pro)
The physician provides concurrent supervision for processing of computerized tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), ultrasound, or other tomographic modality with 3D manipulation of volumetric data sets and image rendering. The exact nature of the 3D manipulation is dependent upon the type of study being performed and the purpose of the diagnostic imaging. Image manipulation can include 3D image segmentation (i.e., removing skeletal structure to better visualize vascular structure followed by identifying and segmenting vessels for individual analysis and review), 3D volume and surface rendering, and 3D image restoration by deconvolution (i.e., unfolding the colon or straightening tortuous blood vessels). Work can include diagnostic imaging and surgical planning with 3D images, scientific modeling and simulation, and other work involving volumetric data. Report 76376 for 3D rendering not requiring image postprocessing on an independent workstation. Report 76377 when image postprocessing on an independent workstation is required.

You might want to post on the Interventional Radiology forum to get a more experienced coder to answer.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

There are two 3D choices...76376 and 76377. Your report says 3D reconstructions were done and doesn't say they were done on a separate workstation, so I'd code 76376.

Diane Huston, CPC,RCC