Wiki 43239 & 43235

CBarry21

Best answers
Good evening,
I was wondering if anyone else has run into an issue with the billing of 43239 & 43235 being billed together and one being denied? The biller at the company I work for has been just resubmitting claims over and over with these 2 codes w/ a modifier 59. Is it possible to get these claims paid for if billed on same day?
When I did research it did say they can NOT be billed together. Is this true or is there a way to get it paid if done together?
Please and thank you for all help ahead of time!!

43239 and 43235 are CCI edits marked as never being paid together. Adding -59 or any other modifier will not override that. You will not get paid for the 43935.

Hi, so 43235 is a diagnostic procedure, if no other procedure was performed you would bill the diagnostic 43235 by itself. However, in your case a biopsy was performed, which trumps that diagnostic procedure (43235). It's like if a provider plans a lap procedure and goes in as lap and then converts to open, you cannot bill the lap, the open procedure trumps the lap because it is a more extensive procedure. The same would apply for the endoscopic procedure, the 43239 would Trump your diagnostic procedure. I hope that helps.