Wiki 61210 vs 61215

scoriston

New
Best answers
I feel like an idiot but I can't quite figure out the difference between these two codes for an Ommaya reservoir. I've seen both listed to be used for placement and I don't know which one to use. My neurosurgeon is actually doing revision of an Ommaya reservoir.
Can anyone explain the difference to me?

Thank you!

Thank you, that is helpful! I still am not sure when you would use 61215 though..
here are the 'lay' definitions from EncoderPro:

61210 - The physician drills a burr hole in the cranium to aspirate a hematoma or cyst located in the brain. The hematoma or cyst is identified using a CT scan. The physician incises the scalp and peels it away from the area to be drilled. The physician drills through the cranium to the dura mater, which is incised. The brain is dissected and retracted until the hematoma or cyst is located. The hematoma or cyst is aspirated using a syringe if the fluid is to be sent to pathology. Otherwise, the fluid is irrigated and suctioned. The dura mater is sutured closed and the scalp is repositioned and sutured into place. In 61210, a ventricular catheter, reservoir, EEG electrodes, pressure recording device, or other cerebral monitoring device is placed through the burr hole following aspiration of the hematoma. These devices or monitors are used to follow intracranial pressure and cerebral function following surgery.
Coding Tip - This separate procedure by definition is usually a component of a more complex service and is not identified separately. When performed alone or with other unrelated procedures/services it may be reported. If performed alone, list the code; if performed with other procedures/services, list the code and append modifier 59 or X{EPSU}. Note that this code reports burr holes for implanting of ventricular catheter. For implanting of ventricular catheter through twist drill hole, see 61107. For intracranial neuroendoscopic ventricular catheter placement, see 62160.

61215 - The physician places a device for administering chemotherapy or other medication into the cerebral spinal fluid. The physician makes a skin incision at the level at which the catheter will be inserted into the reservoir. A dermal or subdermal pocket is created with blunt dissection. The reservoir is connected to the catheter and tested to ensure function. The pocket is sutured in layers.
Coding Tip - Chemotherapy administration into CNS is reported separately; see 96450. For injection of drugs or other substances (excluding chemotherapeutic agents), see 61026. For refilling and maintenance of an implantable infusion pump for spinal or brain drug therapy, see 95990.

Thank you, from Encoder it sounds to me like 61210 is for the catheter and 61215 is for the reservoir that connects to the catheter. But if you bill them together you need a 59 on 61210 so that doesn't seem right. That's what my neurosurgeon wants to do, bill both of them.