Wiki 64416 & Daily Pain Management

LisaAlonso23

True Blue
Best answers
Dr administered brachial plexus nerve block with a continuous catheter (64416) & wants me to bill for three days of daily pain management that followed. This procedure was done as a secondary procedure to manage the post-op pain. He documented that he called the patient those three days.

64416 doesn't have a global period. Can I bill the telephonic E/M? He & my manager insist that I shouldn't bill for the block & just submit payment for the pain management. It doesn't seem right. I'm billing for the anesthesia for the main procedure, then the block (with a -59, of course). I need to bill for the block to show why he's managing the pain pump.

This is being sent to Medicare, so really want to send a clean claim. Also, where can I find information regarding billing daily pain management in this scenario?

Thank you in advance for your help.

The Telephone E/M codes are below. Did he document the time spent talking to the patient. Review the guidelines, they are difficult to meet to report these codes in a lot of scenarios

Restrictions to Reporting the Codes

? The new telephone E/M services (codes 99441-99443) cannot be reported if another telephone or on-line E/M service has been reported in the previous seven days.

? The telephone E/M services cannot be reported if the call is in reference to a procedure and the call occurs within the postoperative period of that procedure.

? The telephone E/M services cannot be reported with the domiciliary, rest home, or home care plan oversight services codes (99339-99340) or the care plan oversight services codes (99374-99380) if the call time is used in reporting the care plan oversight service.

? The telephone E/M services cannot be reported in conjunction with anticoagulant management codes 99363 and 99364 when the call is about warfarin management. Of note, most warfarin management calls originate from the physician?s office, which would also preclude reporting the telephone service"

Telephone evaluation and management service by a physician or other qualified health care professional who may report evaluation and management services provided to an established patient, parent, or guardian not originating from a related E/M service provided within the previous 7 days nor leading to an E/M service or procedure within the next 24 hours or soonest available appointment; 5-10 minutes of medical discussion

Telephone evaluation and management service by a physician or other qualified health care professional who may report evaluation and management services provided to an established patient, parent, or guardian not originating from a related E/M service provided within the previous 7 days nor leading to an E/M service or procedure within the next 24 hours or soonest available appointment; 11-20 minutes of medical discussion

Telephone evaluation and management service by a physician or other qualified health care professional who may report evaluation and management services provided to an established patient, parent, or guardian not originating from a related E/M service provided within the previous 7 days nor leading to an E/M service or procedure within the next 24 hours or soonest available appointment; 21-30 minutes of medical discussion

Below goes on to say that these codes are for when the patient initiates the phone consultation. I don't believe that your scenario meets the criteria to bill a telephone E/M and to bill a regular EM whether it be inpatient subsequent care the physician would have to have a face to face interaction with the patient.

Below is the additional information on Telephone E/M

This code is to be used when the patient initiates the call. "Telephone Services - Telephone services are non-face-to-face evaluation and management (E/M) services provided by a physician to a patient using the telephone. These codes are used to report episodes of care by the physician initiated by an established patient or guardian of an established patient. If the telephone service ends with a decision to see the patient within 24 hours or next available urgent visit appointment, the code is not reported; rather the encounter is considered part of the preservice work of the subsequent I/M service, procedure, and visit. Likewise if the telephone call refers to an E/M service performed and reported by the physician within the previous seven days (either physician requested or unsolicited patient follow-up) or within the postoperative period of the previously completed procedure, then the service(s) are considered part of that previous E/M service or procedure. (Do not report 99441-99443 if reporting 99441-99444 performed in the previous seven days.)"

CPT Assistant March 2008, Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 6 - 7

Medical care has traditionally been considered a face-to-face service provided in the office, hospital or nursing facility, patient?s home, or clinic setting. Due to advancements in communication technology and social change including patient empowerment, the need to provide greater access to care and chronic disease management have challenged the traditional face-to-face care paradigm, expanding the ways in which patients engage with their physicians and other healthcare providers. The Institute of Medicine report, Crossing the Quality Chasm (2001), envisions a patient-centered, responsive care-delivery system that leverages technology to transform care from a visit-based approach to one that is a continuous healing relationship in which the patient exercises greater control in the processes of care. To this end, CPT 2008 has established a new section, Non-Face-to-Face Physician Services, that includes a Telephone Services subsection.

Codes 99441-99443 were established to describe telephone services initiated by the patient, parents or guardian and provided by a physician to an established patient via telephone. They represent non-face-to-face evaluation and management services provided by the physician to an established patient that do not lead to a related office visit. Communications with the office staff, whether they do or do not end in an office visit, are not reported by these codes. When the physician initiates regular telephone communications to patients, family, or guardians as a component of care management for one or more chronic illnesses, the Care Plan Oversight Services codes (99374-99380) should be reported.

Conditions and Guidelines

? The telephone service is initiated by an established patient, parent, or guardian of an established patient. If a physician is covering after hours for a colleague with whom the patient has an established doctor-patient relationship, the covering physician may be considered to have an established relationship with the colleague?s patient or guardian.

? If the telephone service ends with a decision to see the patient within 24 hours or the next available urgent visit appointment, a telephone service code is not reported. In this instance, the telephone encounter is considered part of the preservice work of the subsequent E/M service, procedure, and visit.

? If the telephone call is in reference to an E/M service performed and reported by the physician within the previous seven days (either physician requested or unsolicited patient follow-up) or within the postoperative defined global period of a previously completed procedure, then the telephone service is considered part of that previous E/M postservice work and should not be reported separately.

? The telephone E/M service codes are now distinguished by the length of the medical discussion with the patient, parent, or guardian rather than the complexity of the conversation utilized in the deleted 99371-99373 codes.

99441 Telephone evaluation and management service provided by a physician to an established patient, parent, or guardian not originating from a related E/M service provided within the previous 7 days nor leading to an E/M service or procedure within the next 24 hours or soonest available appointment; 5-10 minutes of medical discussion

99442 11-20 minutes of medical discussion

99443 21-30 minutes of medical discussion

Clinical Example (99441)

An established patient calls her physician with a new complaint. The physician obtains a brief history, inquires about the patient?s present medication use, and makes treatment recommendations, all of which are recorded in the patient?s medical record. The patient is instructed about the condition and advised to call if the symptoms fail to improve with the recommended treatment. No office visit is required.

Description of Procedure

The physician obtains a brief history via telephone, assesses the patient?s condition, makes a medical decision, and communicates that decision via telephone to the patient. Total medical discussion is 5-10 minutes.

Telephone services expand health care access for patients who may not need to or are unable to come to a physician?s office. These services can also make available advice and care to those who might otherwise seek more expensive care in an urgent care center or overcrowded emergency department, and offer a solution in helping to decrease health care costs by providing an alternative to more costly face-to-face services.

Thank you! I feel bad that you retyped all that information. The important part I missed was that the patient had to initiate the telephone call. I really appreciate your input.

Last edited: