Wiki 64450-50

kboyd22

Networker
Best answers
My provider has indicated 4 units of 64450 performed bilaterally (64450-50). Can someone tell me if I bill these all on one line x 4 units or do I need to bill them on separate lines with a "51" modifer(64450-50-51) as I see it has a multiple surgery indicator of "2". My payer is Tricare however we usually try to follow what Medicare wants.

Thanks

Units???

I'm a little confused, units usually refer to medications not procedures. Are you sure the provider didn't leave something out of that sentence?
Our office does many injections on a daily basis, and we would enter the injection on one line using the modifier -50 indicating a bilateral procedure and then on the next line indicate the medication administered with the total amount of units given.

Hope this helps.

We bill our the following way and do not have any issues with denials because there is no MUE limit by MCR:

64450 - 50 x 2

The status 2 indictor means that the CPT code is subject to the multiple procedure rule, so the 1st 64450 will reimburse at 100%, the follow 3 codes are reimbursed as 50%.

Option #2 would be carrier preference:

64450 - 50 x 1
64450 - 50,59 x 1 (this would reflect a peripheral injection at a different anatomical area)
-Payment would reimburse the same as above.