Wiki 64616 and 64646

gd100

Networker
Best answers
Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time understanding if code 64616 covers both Cervical Muscles and Cervical Paraspinals. I see that 64646 covers head and neck muscles. Below is an example of a note.

Impression: Patient continues to present with cervical dystonia, although due to its chronicity of pain up in the head region. In addition after informed consent, we proceeded with Botox injection in the right cervical paraspinals and Sternocleidomastoid. Using 100 units of Botox which was reconstituted and then injected in 3 different areas under sterile conditions and well-tolerated.

Please let me know if anyone can help.

Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time understanding if code 64616 covers both Cervical Muscles and Cervical Paraspinals. I see that 64646 covers head and neck muscles. Below is an example of a note.

Impression: Patient continues to present with cervical dystonia, although due to its chronicity of pain up in the head region. In addition after informed consent, we proceeded with Botox injection in the right cervical paraspinals and Sternocleidomastoid. Using 100 units of Botox which was reconstituted and then injected in 3 different areas under sterile conditions and well-tolerated.

Please let me know if anyone can help.

I would code this procedure as 64616. I'm wondering where you found the guidance that 64646 covers head and neck muscles. I see the notation in the CPT book "All other somatic muscles are extremity muscles, head muscles, or neck muscles"...is that what you're referring to?

yes, that's why I'm looking at 64646.

Ok...I believe it's the opposite...if you're coding for any of the muscles listed there (all other somatic muscles...extremity, head, neck) you use other code. 64642-64645 for extremity. 64616 for neck. 64612 for head/face, etc. That was my interpretation of that statement.