Wiki 76937

aunderhill

Networker
Best answers
Hello all, I am hoping for some clarification on 76937

I have 2 different reports:

Access to the right common femoral artery was obtained by using ultrasound and flouroscopic guidance with micropuncture set.
and
Ultrasound guidance using sonosite ultrasound system linear phased array transducer in sterile sheath was used for evaluation of potential access site, documentation of selected vessel patency and for concurrent realtime ultrasound visualization of vascular needle access. Right Femoral vein was widely patent.

I do see that the code needs documentation of selected vessel patency, concurrent realtime ultrasound visualization of needle entry with permanent recording and reporting.

Is this the exact same type of entry, just one is documented more?
Can you bill 76937 with Ablation codes Ex 93654? It is not in the do not report section but I keep reading everything is included in ablations.
Can you bill 76937 with revascularization codes?

Thank you so much

Last edited:
Your first scenario has no statement of image saved to the patient medical record. So do not code 76937.

You cannot code 76937 with 93654 per NCCI manual Chapter 5 D. Cardiovascular System Number 21
You may code 76937 with lower extremity revascularization code set 37220-37235 as there doesn't seem to be a prohibition in NCCI or mention of it being an included component in the CPT book ahead of that section.

Thank you so much for this. I have a follow up question for everyone. I now understand that it is allowed with the lower extremity revascularization. I also understand that Physicians shall not report CPT codes 76937, 76942, 76998, 93318, or other ultrasound procedural codes if the ultrasound procedure is performed for guidance during one of these procedures. What are scenarios where this would be used? We use this for every procedure, and I am not understanding what would make it billable.

IVC filter placement, stent graft placements, thoracentesis are a few procedures where USVA is bundled into the procedure. Check with CPT.