Wiki 76998 in office for IUD placement

Hello: The 76998 code states that the provider is using guidance during a surgical procedure. Clinical details is that he inserts the transducer through a previous incision made. Is the provider making an incision prior to inserting the IUD? My thoughts are that the best code to use is 76830. Lets see if anyone else chimes in. Great question!

Sorry, but no incision is required to bill an ultrasound guidance code. The transducer does not enter the body (usually). If the US was used to guide the instrument to the location of the IUD and that has been documented in the note, 76998 is correct. If instead, they did an ultrasound to view the location of the IUD before removing it without assistance of the US views, they 76830 would be correct, but there must also be a written report which details the findings. If that documentation is lacking, then nothing can be billed.

Hello Melanie,

I have a question regarding the message above, would the 76830 code not require the image documentation because it is being used for the IUD removal guidance, our office has been performing these and we needed clarification of what is required for billing other than the detailed written report of the findings and clarification of billing without the assistance of the US views being stored. Thank you for helping me provide educational information for my OB/GYN Attendings.

Hello Melanie,

I have a question regarding the message above, would the 76830 code not require the image documentation because it is being used for the IUD removal guidance, our office has been performing these and we needed clarification of what is required for billing other than the detailed written report of the findings and clarification of billing without the assistance of the US views being stored. Thank you for helping me provide educational information for my OB/GYN Attendings.
Per an ACOG Q&A: Ultrasound guidance may be reported in conjunction with other procedures, when appropriate, with CPT code 76998, Ultrasonic guidance, intraoperative. When reporting code 76998, if there is no hard copy or stored digital image of the ultrasound, the service is not billable. An ultrasound report in the medical record is also required in order to bill this code. Without the hard copy image or the report, the service is not separately billable.

Per an ACOG Q&A: Ultrasound guidance may be reported in conjunction with other procedures, when appropriate, with CPT code 76998, Ultrasonic guidance, intraoperative. When reporting code 76998, if there is no hard copy or stored digital image of the ultrasound, the service is not billable. An ultrasound report in the medical record is also required in order to bill this code. Without the hard copy image or the report, the service is not separately billable.
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed, much appreciated. Have a great weekend!