Wiki 77061 & 77065?

Best answers
Can anyone tell me how 77061 or 77062 is to be billed? Are they to be billed with the diagnostic mammo codes (77065/77066)? Or can they billed billed as a stand-alone code? I know they are not an add-on code, but from what I have researched, they seem to follow the same guidelines as the screening mammo 77067 with +77063. This is for NON SAME DAY screening and diagnostic mammo.

Thanks!!!

Per CSI, 77061 and 77062 can be billed as stand-alone codes. Anecdotally, I haven't seen that in practice. I either see the diagnostic mammo alone or with tomo rather than tomo alone (77065 & 77061 or 77066 & 77062).

Thank you so much Tami. I guess a better question would be why should I bill 77065 and 77061 together? Should I be? Is there a reason I should? I know there are no NCCI edits preventing from billing these codes together. Also what is CSI? Thank you so much for your help!

If a diagnostic mammo is performed with tomo, the correct way to bill is using the appropriate two codes together, as above. Mammogram codes include CAD but not tomo.

Here's a Q&A from ACR with several tomo-related questions that you may find helpful. It's from 2014, but cited in the current year CSI Navigator.

Edit: link to the 2022 Navigator for Diagnostic Radiology. We use a digital copy at my work and it's an invaluable resource.

Last edited:
ok thank you so much for your help! Would love to share my email to keep in touch for future mammo billing/coding questions. Idk if you would feel comfortable sharing yours with me? rlozano@onsitemammography.com.
I will also look into CSI, I have never heard of that company before.