Wiki 87635 & 99211

mandymmathison

Contributor
Best answers
Hello, we are looking to start a drive by covid testing center. We have the CLIA waived tests 87635. If a patient comes specifically for the testing (no e/m) may we bill 99211 & 87635QW? From what I am gathering I would say yes if documentation supports the assessing, screening of the patient and swab collection by the trained staff. CMS of course doesn't come out and say it. I have a email out to them but was looking to see if any is already billing both codes. I know for established patients where we provide another E/M we can't. Thank you.

Last edited:
I would say no.

If you're doing a drive-by, and you are doing the test yourself, you bill the test.
If you're doing a drive-by, and you're collecting and sending out the test (but not doing the test yourself), you bill 99211.

Hello, we are looking to start a drive by covid testing center. We have the CLIA waived tests 87635. If a patient comes specifically for the testing (no e/m) may we bill 99211 & 87635QW? From what I am gathering I would say yes if documentation supports the assessing, screening of the patient and swab collection by the trained staff. CMS of course doesn't come out and say it. I have a email out to them but was looking to see if any is already billing both codes. I know for established patients where we provide another E/M we can't. Thank you.

Sorry I missed the most important part "drive by covid testing center". Glad SharonCollachi responded. :)
CMS did put out guidelines a while ago, and they've been quoted here on the forums somewhere. That is where my info comes from.