Best answers
Going back and forth with the pathology clinic on the charges for 88108 vs 88104 vs 80503/504.

Smear Review Interpretation - Reactive mesothelial cells, Mixed inflammatory cells

Gross Description: Stained cytospins preperations (2x) received for review.

Consulting Pathologist: _____________________, M.D.

The pathology group is saying that this should be an 88108 but it clearly does not state the method used to prepare the stains in fact it says that prepared stains were reviewed, meaning to me that the pathologist only review the already prepared stains. The Consulting Pathologist is also tripping me up. This would indicate that this was a consult....right?

You have this! Yes, what else is to code but a consultation. The pathologist reviewed slides. No IHC applied this it a professional only fee 88321. If it was performed in house.

We are still arguing about this...

Report #1
Pathology Interp Report
Smear Review Interp
Gross Descripton: CSF, tube #1, fluoroscopically guided lumbar puncture - 2 cytospin preparations reviewed (Diff Quick stained)

Report #2
Cytology Non Gyn Report
Gross Description: CSF fluoroscopically guided lumbar puncture - 1 ml pale yellow tinged translucent fluid received from which 4 cytospin preparations are made (2 Diff Quick and 2 Pap stained)

I coded as follows:
Report #1: I am not sure there is a cpt that covers this. The only thing that the pathologist did was review the already prepared cytology slides.

Report #2: 88108

What cpt would you use for the above reports?