Wiki 96372 (again) for self-pays

g.fairchild

Networker
Best answers
Hi. Somewhere my Administrator has the idea in his head that for self-pay patients we are not "allowed" to bill the injection administration fee for a Toradol injection (only the drugs). I had never heard of this. I do know that we usually do not charge the office visit, unless there is something separately identifiable within the visit. Has anyone ever heard of this? I think we are leaving money on the table. Thanks.:confused:

Hi. Somewhere my Administrator has the idea in his head that for self-pay patients we are not "allowed" to bill the injection administration fee for a Toradol injection (only the drugs). I had never heard of this. I do know that we usually do not charge the office visit, unless there is something separately identifiable within the visit. Has anyone ever heard of this? I think we are leaving money on the table. Thanks.:confused:

The "allowed" and "not allowed" has nothing to do with self pay or any other insurance. You need to code based on notes and coding guidelines. If this is a pre planed procedure, then you just bill injection + drug, if not, and separately identifiable - off visite + injection + drug. that is what we do in case of Supartz injection. Maybe this is an internal policy for self-pay patient (kind of discount).
96372 Therapeutic, prophylactic, or diagnostic injection (specify substance or drug); subcutaneous or intramuscular

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, and yes I agree with you that we should be billing the admin. As far as I know there is no internal policy that we should not...so I don't know where this is coming from....:rolleyes: