Wiki 99024 clarification

Best answers
Hello,

I just started at a Dermatology clinic in Oregon and I noticed they are currently not reporting post-operative visits with 99024. They do document these visits in the system as a no charge, but they are not submitting anything to insurance. My supervisor would like clarification on how other Dermatology clinics handle postoperative visits that take place within the global period.

In the states that require it, do you report out 99024 for postoperative related visits that take place within the global period?

The policy is really the same, regardless of what type of specialty you are. Practices in Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Jersey, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, and Rhode Island with 10 or more providers are REQUIRED to submit 99024 to Medicare for postop care after certain procedures. Several of those procedures are codes that would be performed by dermatology. I'm not in 1 of those states, but from what I have heard is that it's easiest for providers in those states to just submit 99024 on all postop visits, even if the procedure did not fall on that list.
It is important if you're in one of those states to submit the 99024 data. It is part of a project to evaluate if the global included postoperative services are currently valued correctly. If for example, you never submit 99024 after performing 10060, the data will incorrectly show that you are not providing postoperative care for these patients, and the RVU for 10060 will lower over time.
There was an AAPC post providing information about it a few years back: