Wiki 99291 and 99292 coding newborn transferred

cgant

Best answers
If my doc attends delivery for critical care nb, has to transfer our, is admitted to hospital first than after __hrs is transferred do you use the 99291 and 99292or would you code the 99468?

I'm a bit confused

First ... slow down a minute and explain this clearly.

Let's see if I have this right ...

Your doctor attends birth ... baby is critical and admited to your hospital ... but baby needs more specialized care so after some period of time is transferred to another hospital that can provide that specialized NICU care.

Do I have that right so far?

I know it's long and involved, but read the guidelines in CPT regarding Inpatient Neonatal and Pediatric Critical Care. This exact scenario is explained there. (2010 CPT Professional edition printed by AMA this begins on page 36 and continues to page 37.)

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Last edited:
Thank you one more question

When coding the 99291 and 99292 will you still code the E&M code for Hospital Inpatient Services. It does not say that you can't in the Critical Care services information.

No

I would only code the Critical Care (which IS an E/M code, by the way). You can also code the attendance at birth and/or resuscitation of newborn if applicable.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC