Wiki A question for all you Risk Adjustment coders

trarut

True Blue
Best answers
Will you tell me what it's like to work as a Risk Adjustment coder? Do you have to work directly with physicians? Do you work remotely? What does a normal day look like for you?

I am starting to feel like I've done what I need to do in my current line of work. I'm giving serious consideration to making a switch to being a Risk Adjustment coder and would like to hear what it's like in the real world. I'd love to find something where I can work from home again. I did that for many years and miss it terribly (it pays to not be a social creature at times LOL).

Anyhoo, thanks in advance for sharing!

I work as a risk coder for a Medicaid ACO. We work on risk coding projects for the health centers in our ACO. I review current encounters before they have been billed and pass recommended coding changes or additions on to their coders and/ or billers so they can make the changes and bill out the claims. I do not have any contact with physicians. I work remotely. I also felt that I had done all that I could with my last job. I have always been interested in risk coding and I am so happy I made the change. It is a nice change of pace for me and I really enjoy it.

I sent you a private message.

Last edited:
I work as a risk coder for a Medicaid ACO. We work on risk coding projects for the health centers in our ACO. I review current encounters before they have been billed and pass recommended coding changes or additions on to their coders and/ or billers so they can make the changes and bill out the claims. I do not have any contact with physicians. I work remotely. I also felt that I had done all that I could with my last job. I have always been interested in risk coding and I am so happy I made the change. It is a nice change of pace for me and I really enjoy it.

I sent you a private message.
Thank you so much for the reply. I'll check my messages!