Wiki Acute Pain Due To Trauma

Ravikirann

Networker
Best answers
Dear All,

We are receiving rejections for the Dx Acute Pain Due To Trauma. Can anyone give me some insight in which instance i can use this code. In my case the scenario is consultation for pain management .

Thanks in Advance
Ravi

Need to code the additionally pain by site, Hope it may clear the rejection.
As per the coding Clinic below is the guideline for Pain Management.
Do not assign a code from category G89 if the underlying condition is known, unless the reason for the encounter is pain control or pain management and not management of the underlying condition.

Sequencing of category G89 codes with site-specific pain codes is dependent on the circumstances of the encounter/admission as follows:

• If the encounter is for pain control or pain management, assign the code from category G89 followed by the code identifying the specific site of pain.
• If the encounter is for any other reason except pain control or pain management and a related definitive diagnosis has not been established (confirmed) by the provider, assign the code for the specific site of pain first, followed by the appropriate code from category G89.

Regards
Dr.Ramnath Bandaru, CCS, CPC
American Medical Services LLC
http://amshealth.com/
Twitter: @HospitalCoders

Coding for Pain is tricky, and is generally correct as described above. I invite you to visit my Website, icd10orthocoder.com, where under the Blogs Tab there are list of Blogs, one of which discusses Coding for Pain. If you click on that particular Blog, it will open the full text. This is written from the perspective of an Orthopedic Surgeon, but it would apply to most every pain situation, particularly if it is trauma related.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
icd10orthocoder.com