Wiki ADD - Adult

irvinme

Contributor
Best answers
Hello - I have an adult with ADD and am trying to find a code. When searching for ADD in the index I see Attention-deficit without hyperactivity (adolescent) (adult) (child) F98.8. However when I look in the tabular list F98.8 states P (pediatric) code. Payers deny this code due to age when used on a claim for an adult. Any suggestions?
Thank you, Mary

For an adult with ADD I believe that the correct code is R41.840 for Attention and concentration deficit. Defined as:::

Attention or concentration deficit is the inability to sustain attention focused on certain tasks and becoming easily distracted. A concentration or attention deficit may also present as a failure to pay close attention to detail or instructions; making careless mistakes; not being able to follow through with instructions completely; feeling restless; losing things of importance; and being seemingly unable to stay on track without becoming distracted.

Look at codes:

F90.8, Other specified Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
F90.9, Unspecified Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.​

These are the codes used by DSM to link their dx to ICD-10, and the codes used by our MH/BH providers for adult patients.

-Parker

The only issue with the F90 codes is that it is for ADHD, which includes hyperactivity. So this would only be used for ADHD not ADD.

Interesting conversation as we just had a denial for same reason. Used F98.8 on an adult. I see ICD 10 2018 has removed the "P" (pediatric) symbol. There is also a note at the beginning of the F90 section which states that these codes F90-F98 may be used regardless of the age of the patient. Conflicting for sure.