Wiki Admissions/Discharges by NPPs - NGS FAQs Update

bdiazdeleon

Best answers
Last week, NGS posted FAQ updates for Admission and Discharge Services; however, two of the FAQs seem to conflict and I am seeking clarification/others' thoughts on this. Can a NPP from the same group perform and document an initial hospital H&P and perform and document a discharge summary?

NGS Medicare FAQs for Jurisdiction 6-Wisconsin.

Question: Is it permissible for a NPP to perform an initial hospital visit (on admission) or a discharge service on behalf of the attending physician, when both are members of the same provider group?

Answer: The attending/admitting physician is responsible for performance of the initial hospital visit and discharge visits. These cannot be performed independently by an NPP member of the physician's group, since the incident to concept does not apply in the hospital setting. Both the initial hospital visit and the discharge visit can be performed on a split/shared basis, in which both the physician and the NPP each perform and document at least one essential face-to-face element of the service, but full performance by the NPP is not permissible as billable to Medicare.

Question: Can admission and discharge services be performed by NPP’s in the hospital environment?

Answer: Admission or discharge privileges for NPPs are decided by hospital by-laws.* Admission or discharge services must be performed and billed by the attending provider who is responsible for the patient’s care. *my comment - the hospital I work with allows it.

Thank you!