• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Admit & Discharge dates vs Dates related to services

MFMcoder

Networker
Best answers
I am needing an opinion on a coding/billing issue and hope you can help me. I was taught that when you bill for your services on a hospital patient you should put the admit date and discharge date in what is box 18 of the CMS 1500. Now I am being told that you should only reference the date(s) that you provided services.

For example: Patient arrives in ER and is admitted July 1. Admitting physician orders chest x-ray for suspect pneumonia on July 3. Radiologist reads x-ray July 4. Patient is discharged July 6th.

Traditionally I would enter these dates in box 18: July 1 and July 6. Now I am being told for the scenario it should be July 4 and July 4. (On either claim the date of service by the CPT code and charges would be July 4.)

Have you had any experience with this issue?

I have talked to Medicare and am curious to see what people working and or teaching in the field think about this.

MFMcoder

Networker
Best answers
I finally found my answer. If you are interested you can go to page 28, item 18http://www.nucc.org/images/stories/PDF/claim_form_manual_v8-0_7-12.pdf