Wiki Alcohol codes: with intoxication

tag60

Guru
Best answers
Do the ICD-10 alcohol codes that state "with intoxication" mean that the patient is currently intoxicated?

I need help determining the best code for this visit. Pt had presented with chest pain, but provider also addresses alcohol issue as below.

“He is a somewhat anxious male today. He scores rather high on Audit screening. He does, upon further questioning admit probably drinks too much. He is interested in EtOH cessation referral. “

A/P: EtOH: refer to cessation counseling. Handouts given.

Alcohol codes fall under abuse, dependence, or use. After consulting the Index, I am considering the codes below, but unsure which fits best.

F10.929 Alcohol use, unspecified with intoxication, unspecified. This specifies "use," which fits the documentation, but then "with intoxication" -- does this mean currently intoxicated?

F10.10 Alcohol abuse, uncomplicated. Can I code "abuse" based on the information given? (Why else would he refer him for cessation counseling if alcohol were not being abused?)

How would you code this? Thanks in advance!

I don't think you have enough information. The pztient states he probably drinks too much, is not a statement of intoxication or abuse. The only thing you know is the patient uses alcohol. There is not enough documentation to support any of the F10 codes. I would code the chest pain only.