Wiki Am I getting this External Cause, Place, Activity, Status

darmandahl

Best answers
Can someone tell me what I'm missing here, I have read and read the guidlines but I'm just knocking my head on the wall with this right now for some reason, am I on the right track?

Patient involved in an automobile accident where he was the unrestrained driver of a vehicle hit by a minivan on a business street.

I have V43.64XA, S01.82XA, Y92.414

The S code is for the other things but in terms of the external cause and all that, what am I missing here.

Thanks anyone....

External Cause

As far as the step by step training for ICD-10-CM it goes in this order on the first visit only...

All injuries or illness code first leading with severity, then what caused the injury (IE...MVA, Slip/trip or fall), Then place it occurred (if known and code-able), any activity that was being done at the time (IE...knitting/ texting), then status (IE...work related or not).

All subsequent visits leave off place, activity and status and in some cases cause. Never lead with external cause codes and they can not be used alone.

The new Carol Buck "Step by Step" this year has left out the hierarchy but I kept the older books I taught the class with. Hope this helps.