• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Wiki Anesthesia billing

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
L
Hello to all,

I am seeking clarification, I am new to anesthesia coding and billing and need assistance.
When billing anesthesia for ASC physician and CRNA how to do I list modifiers on Medicare claim?

Do I list like the following : 00812-QX,QS,P3,PT FIRST LINE
99100 -QX,QS,P3,PT ( SECOND LINE) for the CRNA
AND

00812-QK,S,P3,PT
99100- QK,QS,P3,PT for the MDA

I am confused about how to list info on claims when billing MEDICARE for colonoscopy screenings that remain screenings and those that turn diagnostic.

Please assist :)

thanks in advance for any shared knowledge,
Leslie H

njbrown

Networker
Best answers
Can someone tell me how to calculate anesthesia time for billing? This is new to me,I am being told you have a base rate then you multiply that by the number of units which are every 15 minutes.

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
Reimbursement is Base Units + Time Units + Modifying units (if payer accepts them) * conversion factor

The base units per code is either by CMS Base Units or ASA RVG, depending on payer or contract.

Time units Number of minutes / 15. due to 50% time rule, if the remainder is under .5 round down. if the remainder is .5 or more round up
For instance 125 min = 8.33 since its not 50% into the next 15 minutes its considered 8 units