Wiki Angiography question

LIBBYM2

New
Best answers
I am getting mixed answers on this...And it is really confusing me. My physicians do this a lot and I want to make sure I am coding correctly.

If a physician does an aortography, abdominal plus bilat iliofemoral lower extremity. CPT: 75630 (documented as necessary)
Then the physican moves the catheter further down one leg and does another contrast injection and interprets. I would code this a 75774.

But I was told that you should get rid of the 75630 and code only 75625 and 75710 instead.

Does this make sense?? Any thoughts?
Thanks!

I have an example that states:
multiple views of the aorta are taken and then the catheter is pulled to the bifurcation and views taken of the iliacs to the common femorals.

The answer given for this example (from the 2008 Interventional Radiology Coding Users' Guide) is 75630.

I'm thinking that if your cath. was placed, pulled down and an artery was "selected" in the lower extremity, then I would split it up to the 75625/75710/36XXX series of codes. Do you have an example?

I have posted the similar type of question in Z-Health.. as follows..

Q.Our Physician performs distal aorta runoff study and a contralateral SFA angioplasty for stenosis, then he performs a ipsilateral angiogram which confirms stenosis, can we code for ipsilateral angiogram(75774)?.

A ll depends on exactly how the initial study was performed. If the original catheter was placed at the aortic bifurcation and a contralateral runoff was done, followed by intervention, followed by ipsilateral runoff, I would code 75716-59 for the diagnostic study. If a separate complete aortogram was performed from the renal level and the runoff from the bifurcation level, I would add 75625. Had the aorta and contralateral runoff been completed from one location and the ipsilateral complete runoff was done via the sheath, we have a gray zone. I recommend 75625 and 75716-59 for this study as a portion of each study was performed from separate catheter locations and aortogram and runoffs were done. Had just the distal aorta been injected with complete imaging of the ilio-femoral systems bilaterally and the contralateral lower extremity been imaged, followed by catheter pullback and completion of the ipsilateral runoff performed, I would lean to 75630 only. I do not recommend 75774 for completion of a study, nor do I recommend 75774 for ipsilateral NON-selective extremity imaging.

Hope this helps...

Elamathi