Wiki Another hardware removal question

Best answers
I know this has been asked before but I need to ask again just to be sure because I'm still fuzzy. I have an eight-year-old that is now six months out from an epicondyle fracture that is now healed. No pain. Was discussed at initial surgery time the possibility of having the hardware removed. He has full ROM so now they want the screw removed. Again, no pain and he's fully healed. So this isn't a complication. Is this the fx with the A or Z47.2?

Probably the Z. I think there is an excludes note on the ICD10 regarding when to go with the fracture code.
Although, if you look at the official guidelines, in the aftercare section, Chapter 21 section, it specifically states not to use the Z codes for aftercare for injuries. It states to use the acute injury code with the subsequent seventh character. So, I could see using the S with maybe the D? I don't really think it is going to matter from a billing perspective.

Something else to keep in mind is that you are dealing with a patient that is still growing. While the hardware may not be problematic, it could be as the patient grows. So there is medically necessity to remove it.