Wiki Another Practice is Taking over..

MEDASSURE

Networker
Best answers
I bill/code for an OB/GYN practice. Another practice is buying out our practice. Some of our doctors are staying and they are adding some. It will be under a new Tax ID/Group NPI. My question is, my provider wants me to bill all antepartum visits for our currently pregnant patients. Obviously she wants some of the global because she has seen some of these patients for months, but the delivery will go under the new practice (where she will be an employee, not the owner). I don't believe we can do that. I know that TAX ID will be different, but patients will be seeing the same Docs. Can someone offer some guidance on this?
Thanks in advance!

I bill/code for an OB/GYN practice. Another practice is buying out our practice. Some of our doctors are staying and they are adding some. It will be under a new Tax ID/Group NPI. My question is, my provider wants me to bill all antepartum visits for our currently pregnant patients. Obviously she wants some of the global because she has seen some of these patients for months, but the delivery will go under the new practice (where she will be an employee, not the owner). I don't believe we can do that. I know that TAX ID will be different, but patients will be seeing the same Docs. Can someone offer some guidance on this?
Thanks in advance!
Did you ever get an answer? The hospital/clinic system I work with is going through the same thing ... being taken over by another hospital/clinic system and our Tax ID will be changing. I suspect that we'll have to bill out the services between the Tax ID numbers separately even though we have the same providers. But, would be good to know for sure.

In my health care organization, when an ob/gyn practice gets acquired, we must split bill. The old TID bills for whatever antepartum services were provided. The new TID bills for the number of antepartum provided, and then the delivery with postpartum.
There are situations where the new practice is not simply hiring the physicians/employees, but rather purchasing the practice (sometimes including the A/R). In those situations, you could bill as global.
It does create a lot of confusing situations for patients in the middle of care, but once you are a few months in, it switches to global maternity billing (for the carriers that want global).