Wiki Any Radiology Coders that can answer this modifier question

Best answers
I have coded radiology and have never used modifier -59 to override and NCCI Edit. One of my coders using Codify to scrub the claim and check for NCCI edits used modifier -59.
73502-TC and 72170-59-TC is the way she coded. When you run this thru Codify Scrubber it does state a modifier is needed and the NCCI Edits states you can use a modifier. I have never used -59, plus the coded description of 73502 includes the pelvis so why would there even be a modifier to override the edit. This one has me really confused. Has anyone coding radiology ever used modifier -59 and if so please give me an example. Oh, and in Codify when you look up 73502 and 72170 -59 is in the modifier list of acceptable modifiers. Thanks in advance.

Were procedures 72170: x-ray, pelvis 1 or 2 views, in addition to 73502: x-ray hip, unilateral, with pelvis when performed, 2-3 views, both separately performed on the same DOS, during the same encounter in the radiology department? Modifier 59 can be used with 72170 but it may not be appropriate to do so if pelvic x-rays were performed during the same session as the hip x-rays.

Or were there 2 separate encounters in the radiology department and each of these procedures were performed during separate encounters? For example, did the provider order the pelvic x-ray 72170, which is the first encounter in the radiology department, after the pelvic x-rays were taken did something change clinically that the physician (or another physician) subsequently order the hip x-ray 73502, and because the pelvic x-rays were already performed, only the hip x-ray was performed in second encounter in the radiology?

The part of full definition of modifier 59 states:

Under certain circumstances, it may be necessary to indicate that a procedure or service was distinct or independent from other non-E/M services performed on the same day. Modifier 59 is used to identify procedures/services, other than E/M services, that are not normally reported together, but are appropriate under the circumstances. Documentation must support a different session, different procedure or surgery, different site or organ system, separate incision/excision, separate lesion, or separate injury (or area of injury in extensive injuries) not ordinarily encountered or performed on the same day by the same individual.​

If there was only 1 encounter in the radiology department, I think you are going to have a hard time justifying using modifier 59 on 72170. What is your coworker's rationale for using modifier 59, is it just because she ran it through the scrubber and found that the NCCI edit could be overridden by using it?

I'm having a hard time coming up with a rationale for considering the pelvic x-rays distinct separate services from the hip x-rays if there was only one encounter in the radiology department and the pelvic x-rays were performed at the same time as the hip x-rays, I believe it is appropriate to only bill 73502. If you want to bill both procedure codes, it would not be appropriate to use modifier 59 with 72170 based on the definition of the modifier and you should expect 72170 to be denied as bundled.

As someone who works for an insurance company and sees a lot of inappropriate modifier 59 use, I would find this claim scenario questionable. I would question the billing of these procedures on the same DOS even with modifier 59 appended to 72170. If modifier 59 is being used frequently on claims for your provider(s), you may find your provider being selected for pre-payment or post-payment review/audit of claims with modifier 59 on them.

If there were 2 separate encounters in the radiology department and the pelvic x-ray was performed first and then the hip x-ray was performed, then use of a modifier to indicate the services are distinct and separate, it would be appropriate to use modifier 59. However, I would suggest considering modifier XE-Separate encounter, a service that is distinct because it occurred during a separate encounter, rather than 59 because it is more specific as to why the procedures are distinct separate services/procedures. Modifier XE is on the list of modifiers that may be used with 72170.

I agree with Corinne.
I would also point out just because a scrubber says you "could" use a 59, doesn't mean you should. This is where a coder's brain and training has to take over. This used to kill me when I supervised coders and folks would just slap a 59 on because the "scrubber said you could." 🤪
Please see the rationale for the edit. The rationale is "HCPCS/CPT procedure code definition." Then go to the NCCI Manual Chapter 1, General Correct Coding Policies, H. HCPCS/CPT Procedure Code Definition.
I would also suggest checking CPT Assistant to see if there is guidance on it (August 2016). You can also check the Radiology chapter of NCCI: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/medicare-ncci-policy-manual-2024-chapter-9.pdf

I have used 59 on radiology before however, usually it is the scenario described above where there were two, separate and distinct encounters in the same day.

Finally, simply reading the CPT definition of the codes points to the answer that is, unless it was a totally separate session.
73502: "Radiologic examination, hip, unilateral, with pelvis when performed; 2-3 views."
72170: “Radiologic examination, pelvis; 1 or 2 views.”

Old thread here: https://www.aapc.com/discuss/threads/clarify-new-radiology-xray-code-hips.133572/

Were procedures 72170: x-ray, pelvis 1 or 2 views, in addition to 73502: x-ray hip, unilateral, with pelvis when performed, 2-3 views, both separately performed on the same DOS, during the same encounter in the radiology department? Modifier 59 can be used with 72170 but it may not be appropriate to do so if pelvic x-rays were performed during the same session as the hip x-rays.

Or were there 2 separate encounters in the radiology department and each of these procedures were performed during separate encounters? For example, did the provider order the pelvic x-ray 72170, which is the first encounter in the radiology department, after the pelvic x-rays were taken did something change clinically that the physician (or another physician) subsequently order the hip x-ray 73502, and because the pelvic x-rays were already performed, only the hip x-ray was performed in second encounter in the radiology?

Under certain circumstances, it may be necessary to indicate that a procedure or service was distinct or independent from other non-E/M services performed on the same day. Modifier 59 is used to identify procedures/services, other than E/M services, that are not normally reported together, but are appropriate under the circumstances. Documentation must support a different session, different procedure or surgery, different site or organ system, separate incision/excision, separate lesion, or separate injury (or area of injury in extensive injuries) not ordinarily encountered or performed on the same day by the same individual.​

If there was only 1 encounter in the radiology department, I think you are going to have a hard time justifying using modifier 59 on 72170. What is your coworker's rationale for using modifier 59, is it just because she ran it through the scrubber and found that the NCCI edit could be overridden by using it?

I'm having a hard time coming up with a rationale for considering the pelvic x-rays distinct separate services from the hip x-rays if there was only one encounter in the radiology department and the pelvic x-rays were performed at the same time as the hip x-rays, I believe it is appropriate to only bill 73502. If you want to bill both procedure codes, it would not be appropriate to use modifier 59 with 72170 based on the definition of the modifier and you should expect 72170 to be denied as bundled.

As someone who works for an insurance company and sees a lot of inappropriate modifier 59 use, I would find this claim scenario questionable. I would question the billing of these procedures on the same DOS even with modifier 59 appended to 72170. If modifier 59 is being used frequently on claims for your provider(s), you may find your provider being selected for pre-payment or post-payment review/audit of claims with modifier 59 on them.

If there were 2 separate encounters in the radiology department and the pelvic x-ray was performed first and then the hip x-ray was performed, then use of a modifier to indicate the services are distinct and separate, it would be appropriate to use modifier 59. However, I would suggest considering modifier XE-Separate encounter, a service that is distinct because it occurred during a separate encounter, rather than 59 because it is more specific as to why the procedures are distinct separate services/procedures. Modifier XE is on the list of modifiers that may be used with 72170.

Thank you for that very detailed and very useful reply. She only used -59 because it came up on the scrubber and the NCCI Edit told her there was an override modifier. I believe the x-rays were performed during the same session and ordered at the same time.

I agree with Corinne.
I would also point out just because a scrubber says you "could" use a 59, doesn't mean you should. This is where a coder's brain and training has to take over. This used to kill me when I supervised coders and folks would just slap a 59 on because the "scrubber said you could." 🤪
Please see the rationale for the edit. The rationale is "HCPCS/CPT procedure code definition." Then go to the NCCI Manual Chapter 1, General Correct Coding Policies, H. HCPCS/CPT Procedure Code Definition.
I would also suggest checking CPT Assistant to see if there is guidance on it (August 2016). You can also check the Radiology chapter of NCCI: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/medicare-ncci-policy-manual-2024-chapter-9.pdf

I have used 59 on radiology before however, usually it is the scenario described above where there were two, separate and distinct encounters in the same day.

Finally, simply reading the CPT definition of the codes points to the answer that is, unless it was a totally separate session.
73502: "Radiologic examination, hip, unilateral, with pelvis when performed; 2-3 views."
72170: “Radiologic examination, pelvis; 1 or 2 views.”

Old thread here: https://www.aapc.com/discuss/threads/clarify-new-radiology-xray-code-hips.133572/
Thank you so much for your very educational reply and for the resources you linked.