Wiki Appropriate coccyx injection code

Arlene10

New
Best answers
What would the appropriate CPT code for a coccyx injection be based on this scenario: Area overlying the sacral spine was prepped. The anatomy of the coccyx was identified by palpation and then visualized with lateral view fluoroscopy. The skin overlying the coccyx was anesthetized...3.5 spinal needle was then introduced into the anesthetized skin and advanced to contact the coccyx with the use of lateral fluoroscopic views. Solution injected. After researching, I am being led to cpt code 20610 but this code is for major joint or bursa and I'm not sure that fits this scenario the way it should. It sounds like the needle made contact with the bone and then solution was injected around the area. Does anyone have any thoughts and guidance concerning this situation? Please include rational with reply. Thank you for your input!

Look at 62323

Injection(s), of diagnostic or therapeutic substance(s) (eg, anesthetic, antispasmodic, opioid, steroid, other solution), not including neurolytic substances, including needle or catheter placement, interlaminar epidural or subarachnoid, lumbar or sacral (caudal); with imaging guidance (ie, fluoroscopy or CT)

From AAPC Coder, lay terms are:
The provider injects a diagnostic or a therapeutic substance, such as pain medication or a steroid, into the space around the spinal nerves of the lumbar (lower back) or sacral (caudal, or tailbone) region, under imaging guidance. She inserts a needle or catheter (tube) to facilitate the injection.

Look at 62323

Injection(s), of diagnostic or therapeutic substance(s) (eg, anesthetic, antispasmodic, opioid, steroid, other solution), not including neurolytic substances, including needle or catheter placement, interlaminar epidural or subarachnoid, lumbar or sacral (caudal); with imaging guidance (ie, fluoroscopy or CT)

From AAPC Coder, lay terms are:
The provider injects a diagnostic or a therapeutic substance, such as pain medication or a steroid, into the space around the spinal nerves of the lumbar (lower back) or sacral (caudal, or tailbone) region, under imaging guidance. She inserts a needle or catheter (tube) to facilitate the injection.
Thank you so much, I will look at this code. I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly!

Another question on this please. The injection was a mix of a steroid Depo-medrol and an anesthetic bupivicaine. Would you still use 62323 with those medications? Thanks 😊