Wiki appropriate use for 99211

Best answers
I currently am billing for PM practice which is fully telehealth. The patients require monthly UDS screenings. We have the patients come to the office to give their sample on a non physician day. Sample collection is done by our in house collectors. Would it be appropriate to bill the 99211 for collection of the specimen? Patient is not seeing a provider and we are collecting the specimen and sending out to reference lab. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, it is not appropriate just for the collection of a specimen if there is no other work or documentation involved. 99211 is an evaluation and management service, so generally requires that some elements of history, exam, decision making or counseling take place. I know that an exception has been officially made to allow the use of this code for COVID specimen collection, but am not aware that this applies to other situations, though some of your payers may have policies that allow this.

The Medicare Contractor in my area has an excellent job aid on their web site with their guidance on the use of 99211, which you can find here: PROCEDURE CODE 99211 JOB AID