Wiki Arthrodesis 4th metatarsophalangeal joint?

heatherposchman1

Networker
Best answers
Provider performed a fusion (with a metal plate) on the 4th MTPJ and I can only find a code when the fusion is performed on the 1st MTPJ (great toe 28750). Can anyone direct me as to what would be used for the 4th? Provider performed a partial phalangectomy and fusion of the 4th MTPJ.

Thank you!

Provider performed a fusion (with a metal plate) on the 4th MTPJ and I can only find a code when the fusion is performed on the 1st MTPJ (great toe 28750). Can anyone direct me as to what would be used for the 4th? Provider performed a partial phalangectomy and fusion of the 4th MTPJ.

Thank you!
What is the diagnosis? FYI for orthopedics always include the diagnosis with the procedure performed.

Heather, while the diagnosis is helpful, it, by itself does not answer your question. A fusion of a joint is an arthrodesis. There is a cpt code for arthrodesis of the 1st mtpj but not of the lesser toes. The code 28285 is for the correction of the phalages only, no work involving the metatarsal, thus this is not an appropriate code for this procedure you mention. If the fusion plate was placed on phalanges only, then you can use 28285. If the phalanx was fused to the metatarsal with a plate or pin as is described in the case with 28750/55 of the 1st mtpj, then your only option is to report an unlisted code 28899.

Heather, while the diagnosis is helpful, it, by itself does not answer your question. A fusion of a joint is an arthrodesis. There is a cpt code for arthrodesis of the 1st mtpj but not of the lesser toes. The code 28285 is for the correction of the phalages only, no work involving the metatarsal, thus this is not an appropriate code for this procedure you mention. If the fusion plate was placed on phalanges only, then you can use 28285. If the phalanx was fused to the metatarsal with a plate or pin as is described in the case with 28750/55 of the 1st mtpj, then your only option is to report an unlisted code 28899.
Thank you VERY much! I was certain that I was missing something, but apparently I was not.