Wiki Arthroscopic I&D (Lavage) of RT shoulder

TJAlexander

Best answers
We have a surgery scheduled for a patient who continues to struggle with a post-operative infection after rotator cuff repair. Our provider is planning to lavage the area arthroscopically, then perform a bone biopsy (20245). Would the lavage be coded separately in your opinion? If so, I was wondering if 29822 would accurately describe the procedure. I can't find anything else that really fits. It's interesting that we have 29871 for infection of the knee, but nothing like it for the shoulder.

We have a surgery scheduled for a patient who continues to struggle with a post-operative infection after rotator cuff repair. Our provider is planning to lavage the area arthroscopically, then perform a bone biopsy (20245). Would the lavage be coded separately in your opinion? If so, I was wondering if 29822 would accurately describe the procedure. I can't find anything else that really fits. It's interesting that we have 29871 for infection of the knee, but nothing like it for the shoulder.
Unless the provider will be performing a limited intraarticular debridement I would say you would need to go with the unlisted 29999, or consider appending modifier 22 as the lavage is more work than what is typically performed for CPT 20245? and make sure the providers documentation is supporting. I agree about the knee scope codes it would be nice to have CPT codes for arthroscopic shoulder lavage and chondroplasty.