Wiki Arthroscopic meniscectomy

CCANTER

Networker
Best answers
Would the following documentation suffice for a lateral meniscectomy?

The lateral compartment contained some free-edge fraying of the posterior horn and body of the
lateral meniscus. This was débrided with a 4.5 shaver. The rest of the meniscus was probed
and found to be stable. The cartilaginous surfaces were in good condition in lateral
compartment.

If so, do you have any references?

thanks

Meniscectomy is documented

Meniscectomy is nothing but debridement.

If the tear is not loo large, the physician will smooth out (debride) the meniscus. Your physician documented the location of the tear and the instrument used to perform the procedure.

This is good documentation for this procedure.

Last edited:
thank you. I appreciate your response. I was also wandering if you had any references that I could use to appeal?

thanks

I don't

It sounds like the insurance company you are dealing with has no clue what a meniscectomy is.

Wondering if they are thinking that this is similar to a "repair" where sutures would be used to hold the tear down?

I would have your physician write a very short letter explaining what debridement of the meniscus is and that the meniscectomy is performed via debridement.

Good luck.

Procedure description for 29881

Hi all.
The actual CPT code 29881's description should be all you need in this case.
"Arthroscopy, knee, surgical; with meniscectomy (medial OR lateral, including any meniscal shaving) including debridement/ shaving of articular cartilage (chondroplasty), same or separate compartment(s), when performed."
Taken straight from the CPT book :)