Wiki Arthroscopy left knee ganglion resection, chondroplasty of medial femoral condyle and plica resection

such78

Expert
Best answers
Procedure performed:
1. Arthroscopy with ganglion cyst resection
2. Arthroscopic utilizing a 4.0 mm shaver, loose synovium was resected. The medial plica was resected, and a chondroplasty of the medial femoral condyle was taken back to stable articular. A 3.2 x 4.0 mm 90-degree Arthrocare wand was now brought into the field to further stabilize the medial femoral condyle articular cartilage on its margins, and to coagulate bleeders in the notch.

Is the CPT 29877 covered all work? or I should assign 29877 + 29999 (arthroscopic knee ganglion cyst removed)?

Please advice.

Thank you.

There is no documentation that a ganglion cyst was treated.

Sorry, my fault. " attention was then turned to the anterolateral side of the joint, and a bulge apparently representing the ganglion was seen to be present. the shaver was then utilized to unroof the anterolateral synovium to expose the mass which was then decompressed, and further decompression was done utilizing an 18-gauge spinal needle from______(blank in op report)exterior.

Frequently ganglion cysts of the knee can be treated with debridement. Any debridement is reported with 29877. However this ganglion was not treated with simple debridement and seems to be in the lateral compartment and not the medial. A shaver was used to expose the cyst and partial decompression was accomplished using the shaver, but was completed using a spine needle. Check with your physician, if this was performed in the lateral compartment and not the medial, I would report with unlisted 29999. Some say you can use 29875 for ganglions, but you can't report 29877 & 29875 together. I really don't see this being in line with 29875 in this case anyway.

Frequently ganglion cysts of the knee can be treated with debridement. Any debridement is reported with 29877. However this ganglion was not treated with simple debridement and seems to be in the lateral compartment and not the medial. A shaver was used to expose the cyst and partial decompression was accomplished using the shaver, but was completed using a spine needle. Check with your physician, if this was performed in the lateral compartment and not the medial, I would report with unlisted 29999. Some say you can use 29875 for ganglions, but you can't report 29877 & 29875 together. I really don't see this being in line with 29875 in this case anyway.

Thank you so much for the advice. Which CPT applies if it was done in medial compartment?