Wiki Assist Surgeon Billing

Best answers
Temporarily we have been billing for an assistant surgeon for cases he assisted our providers with and once reimbursed he is paid what we collected. However, he is now employed by the hospital, only on Tuesdays. Our doctors say we can still bill for his cases he assist's on Tuesday's, even though he is paid a salary for that day by the hospital. That doesn't seem right but as I am not too familiar with hospital billing I thought I would ask for help.

It is not unheard of for a physician to be on salary and to bill for the services they provide. The facility salary is a base salary for being available. The facility does not bill for the physician services (unless he has that arrangement with them, and with what you said, it sounds like he does not).

I agree, if the facility is not under agreement with him to bill for his services done on Tuesday, then you can bill. If the hospital is expecting to be able to bill the insurance and receive payment for those services performed on those Tuesdays, then you would be double-billing if your practice also billed.

I recommend you speak with him or with the hospital to get clarification on whether or not his work in the OR as an assistant on those days is part of his compensation agreement with the hospital and whether or not they are billing the payers for that.

It is not unheard of for a physician to be on salary and to bill for the services they provide. The facility salary is a base salary for being available. The facility does not bill for the physician services (unless he has that arrangement with them, and with what you said, it sounds like he does not).
Thank you for your response. I appreciate it :)

I agree, if the facility is not under agreement with him to bill for his services done on Tuesday, then you can bill. If the hospital is expecting to be able to bill the insurance and receive payment for those services performed on those Tuesdays, then you would be double-billing if your practice also billed.

I recommend you speak with him or with the hospital to get clarification on whether or not his work in the OR as an assistant on those days is part of his compensation agreement with the hospital and whether or not they are billing the payers for that.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate the help and advice :)