Wiki attempted ORIF

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
Pt has fractured proximal humerus. One of my physician attempted an ORIF but said the fragments were too small for fixation. One of the other physicians in our practice then did a Hemi 3 days later. My question is should I append modifier 53 or 52 to the attempted ORIF. Any advice is much appreicated.
Thanks,

• Modifier 52 Reduced Services is used when the procedure or surgery is partially reduced or eliminated by the physician. This is used when a procedure has an existing CPT code, but not all of the components of the code were performed. Modifier 52 is not used for unlisted procedures (where there is no existing CPT code to describe the procedure that was performed).
  • Modifier 53 Discontinued Procedure is used when a procedure is discontinued due to extenuating clinical circumstances or those that threaten the well-being of the patient. An example is during a fem-pop bypass a patient develops an arrhythmia and the procedure is discontinued.

So the question you need to ask is was the surgery partially performed?
OR
Did the surgeon even start the surgery and had to terminate but it even started?