Wiki Audio Only Documentation Requirements after PHE

Leesburg2

New
Best answers
Hello, does anyone have a resource stating after the PHE ends for audio only visit the provider must document the reason for the audio only preference such as broadband unsatisfactory, or audio-visual technology isn't available etc. I thought I came across this requirement but now I can't seem to locate it. I know CMS states "certain telehealth visits can be delivered audio-only (such as telephone) if someone is unable to use both audio and video, such as a smartphone or computer" but it doesn't state you must document the reason.

Hi there, I believe you're thinking of the requirement that applies specifically to telehealth for mental health/SUD treatment. I have not seen a requirement to justify an audio-only encounter under the COVID-19 waivers for telehealth services or the extension of those waivers which will run through 2024. I have seen guidance to document when an A/V encounter converts to audio-only due to technical problems but I'd have to do some research to determine where that came from.

Hello, does anyone have a resource stating after the PHE ends for audio only visit the provider must document the reason for the audio only preference such as broadband unsatisfactory, or audio-visual technology isn't available etc. I thought I came across this requirement but now I can't seem to locate it. I know CMS states "certain telehealth visits can be delivered audio-only (such as telephone) if someone is unable to use both audio and video, such as a smartphone or computer" but it doesn't state you must document the reason.

You might be interested in the article on Telehealth Services After the PHE in the new issue of Healthcare Business Monthly. (Pages 26-27 in the May issue, which is available for viewing online now.) The article was written by Terry Fletcher, and it includes discussion about audio-only telehealth.