Wiki Auth for MBB 2 levels/ 3 levels done per note?

smckee40

New
Best answers
Okay so I work in Pain Management. We've been told that if there is No Authorization required then we go by the procedure note and if all three levels were done for an MBB then we bill all three.....however the question I'm having a hard time getting an answer to is if Authorization is required and it's only done for 2 levels but per the note 3 levels were done....which do we code by? The Authorization or the Procedure note?

Thanks!

You should always code by the procedure note, not by the authorization. You can only code for what is actually documented. If the authorization is wrong, then the payer should have a process for updating it, if needed, to reflect whatever changed.

You should always code by the procedure note, not by the authorization. You can only code for what is actually documented. If the authorization is wrong, then the payer should have a process for updating it, if needed, to reflect whatever changed.
Thank you! That's what I was thinking but I kept getting really confusing and cryptic answers from others in the office so I decided to ask on here. :)