Wiki Autograft at same site as aspiration

staylor0907

Best answers
How would this be coded:

Aspiration of bone marrow from C6 vertebral body, harvest and marsupialization of local autograft from C4 and C5

A 3-mm punch was used to fine the overhanging osteophyte from C5 above and this was cleared of any soft tissue and morselized carefully, and mixed with tricalcium phosphate granules. Needle was plunged into the C6 vertebral body, 18-guage, and bone marrow was aspirated and mixed with that. That mixture was put into the middle of the 7-mm peak lordotic spacer and compacted using compating device.

There is some confusion over what is correct and what is not. One person says bill it as 29036 and 38220, another person says 29036 only or 38220 only but not together, and another person says 29036, 29030, and 38220.

What is the correct way to code this?

You have the 20936 for the autograft of bone and the 38220 for the bone marrow aspirate. No to the 20930 as you did not use cadaver bone.

I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT IF THE AUTOGRAFT BONE AND BONE MARROW ASPIRATION WERE TAKEM FROM THE SAME ANATOMICAL SITE THAT YOU COULD NOT BILL OUT 38220.

I COULD BE WRONG BUT I THINK I SAW IT ON THE AAOS WEBSITE.:cool:

Pardon, but you are correct, I read too quick and failed to see that it was at the same site. My docs always do the aspirate from a different site whiched caused me to not read as careful as I should, thanks for catching that!