Wiki AWV's

Best answers
Hello all!

I need your help with Medicare AWV's, please. I am at a loss for how the AWV's should be documented properly. I have a provider who billed an IPPE (G0438), however, there are no documented ROS or PE. I audited the chart as the patient is eligible for the G0402. However, new (or previously forgotten :unsure:) information has been brought to my attention.

With the Medicare AWV's, which ones, G0402, G0438, G0439 involve only talking with the patient and not touching them? Is it all of them? Or certain ones? I know I should know this but I am always second guessing myself. I have tried to Google the information, but nothing concrete. I did see on one site that stated the G0438 was only talking and not touching. I have also been told that the G0402 is talking and not touching. Is this information correct? What about the G0439, same thing?

Thank you in advance and I appreciate any information that you all may provide. Happy Coding! :)

Last edited:
I have attached a link that provides info on each visit. It's laid out very well; easy to read. There is no touching in any of the exams, aside from vitals. Hope that's helpful!

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Ed...cts/Downloads/AWV-Chart-ICN905706TextOnly.pdf
Thank you so much for your response and for the link. I really appreciate your help and definitely see the link as being helpful. I have it saved to my favorites and will probably print it out just to have it handy.

Thank you again! :) (y)

You're very welcome. I've received great help from others on this forum so I try to do the same when I can! :)

Does anyone know if the Providers are required to document and support the diagnosis for the AWV? I know the Physical exam is not required for an AWV but does the provider need to just mention all the active diagnosis, or does the provider doing an AWV need to have MEAT support like medication reconciliation, or anything else to make a line or 2 for supporting the chronic conditions on the AWV documentation?
@jhendrix08

Last edited: