Wiki B97.29 - COVID19 DX CODE

katteev

Contributor
Best answers
Hi all,

I was hoping that someone could explain 1.) if we should be still using the B97.29 dx code, if yes then 2.) when should we be using it? From what I have read, if a patient is coming in for a screening, patient is asymptotic, no exposure to covid19, just wants to make sure he/she doesn't have it, that we should bill the Z11.59 code. I had a co-worker that stated we should also be attaching the B97.29 code as secondary to let the insurers know what we are screening for, is the that correct?

I was thinking that if you attach B97.29, the insurers would think that the patient has "other coronavirus as the cause of diseases classified elsewhere." The ICD-10 book states to bill this code secondary to the infection. So I am confused, if the patient is only in the office for screening and is not sick, why would I attach the B97.29?

I'm I thinking to much into it? :)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Kattee

No, you are correct, you cannot code B97.29 if the patient has not been diagnosed with a viral illness (and even if so, B97.29 is incorrect for COVID-19, which would be coded with U07.1, not B97.29).

Per AHA guidance given in August, Z11.59 is not appropriate for use during a pandemic, and Z20.828 should be used instead if the patient is asymptomatic and the result is not positive.

Here is a link that supports this and answers many other questions about COVID-19 coding:

No, you are correct, you cannot code B97.29 if the patient has not been diagnosed with a viral illness (and even if so, B97.29 is incorrect for COVID-19, which would be coded with U07.1, not B97.29).

Per AHA guidance given in August, Z11.59 is not appropriate for use during a pandemic, and Z20.828 should be used instead if the patient is asymptomatic and the result is not positive.

Here is a link that supports this and answers many other questions about COVID-19 coding:

I also read this attached article, thank you for the link, and thought that during the pandemic we should be using Z20.828 and not Z11.59. I read that Z11.59 would be appropriate in later years, after the pandemic was over.

So just to be clear, if a patient is asymptomatic, no know exposure, negative test results - then we should be using Z20.828, correct? per the article.

Thank so much, Kattee

I have a question, if the patient only came to see her primary physician for gynecologist exam, ( Dx Z01.411) what code have chose for the visit. The annual code (9939..) or a regular visit code ((21...)? she didn't have the annual yet. can any one help me? thanks!