Wiki bb gun -foreign body ?

codedog

True Blue
Best answers
Patient had an excision of foreign body( which was a bb-from a bb gun) of left hand . BB wa seasily palpated.,which doc stated that an incsion was deepened down throug subcutaneous tissue. LOOKING at cpt code 10120 but dx of a foreign body having trouble with .according to CCI edits 10120 just has -914.7, but says splinter-, doc office booked it a 729.6-residual foreign body in soft tissue- which one is a better one to choose ? thanks

I think 729.6 refers to an "old or residual..." foreign body. Not sure that is the best to use. Description of 914.7 says, "Superficial injury of hand(s) except finger(s) alone." If you want to use superficial injury, I think 915.6 or 915.7 are better choices. You might consider 883.0 as well. Seems you will also need an "E Code" (E968.6) as well.

Hope this is what you need.

Would documentation support 882.1, open wound of hand except finger(s) alone, complicated?

E codes are used for the initial encounter of the injury, not for the subsequent treatment.

Hey

Just wanted to put in my two cents.. I am in Missouri and for State Reporting we are REQUIRED to have an E code for any dx with 800 or 900. We have a field in our system were we post it however it does not print on the claim, but is connected to the patients chart...... I don't know if you need that for were you are. Just thought I would share.:)

Hi. I do ER outpatient coding and I really love this AAPC site! I ran across this thread today and thought I'd add to it. We code 914.6, E922.4 (it was an accident), and CPT 10120 - the suturing is included - should the question come up. :)

~Keep Calm and Code On! :D
~MMullaly, CPC