Wiki Bilateral Procedure Question-I know this

lrountree

New
Best answers
I know this is a very basic question but I can't get a straight answer... is there one way that is accepted by Medicare, Medicare replacements, and commertial insurances to bill bilateral procedures? Every site I look at says something different.
some examples are:
92135 -50, 2 units, single charge $
or
92135 -50, 1 unit, double charge $
or
92135-LT, single charge
92135-RT, single charge

Are any of these ways universal???
HELP!

It just depends on your carrier. Here in Alabama, Medicare wants xxxxx-50 with one unit and double price; Alabama Medicaid wants xxxxx-LT X 1 and xxxxx-RT X 1; most commercial carriers prefer xxxxx X 1 and xxxxx-50 X 1. And since they are paying they get to call the shots.

Have fun.

Jerri, CPC

Bilateral Procedure Question

According to Medicare, the application of the bilateral payment rule is dependent on the bilateral indicator on the Medciare Fee Schedule Database MFSDB).The bilateral payment adjustment does not apply to a procedure with 0,2 or 3 indicator and CPT 92135 falls under indicator 3. Do not use modifier -50, instead use RT, LT- on one line with (2) in unit column.

Hope this helps.

Nidhi M., CPC
www.symbiosisbilling.com

This information is very helpful for all to review on a periodic basis for a refresher. We get so used to going through the motions, that it is good to reveiw and refresh. Thank you.