Wiki billing after equipment malfunctions

trinapitsch

Contributor
Best answers
One of my providers performed a EMG/NCS on a patient in our office. When he went to look at the results he discovered that the machine had malfunctioned and the patient had to come back the next day for repeat testing.

He wants to bill for both tests because "he did the work and it wasn't his fault the machine was broken" I personally feel that it also wasn't the patients fault the equiment failed and they had to sit through two EMG's.

Can this be billed? Would i have to put a V64.3? I'm just not sure how to handle the situation and prove the correct billing to my provider.

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

I can see why the provider wants to be paid for both tests, but only one was successfully completed, so the insurance company will only pay for one test. Think of it this way, if it was lab work and the sample was ruined after collection but before results are known, would the you bill for two urine dips or blood draws?
You provider is 100% correct that it might not be his fault that the machine messed up, but it is his/her's responsibility.